Following the Nazis' seizure of power in January 1933, Osnabrueck was subjected to the implementation of National Socialist economic programs. These resulted in economic growth. Osnabrueck was therefore well known for its industry. Numerous companies in the automobile, paper, steel and grocery sectors were located in the city and its surrounding area.
The war ended for Osnabrueck on 4 April 1945, when the Montgomery's Second Army entered the city with little resistance. By the end of the war the city had been extensively bombed and required major reconstructive programs following the war's end. After World War II, Osnabrueck was also the home of the largest British garrison outside the United Kingdom.